Profile photo of matt76
matt76
Survivalist
member8

This is a very interesting topic. One of the things that caught my eye was the race issue and rural or city location. I have worked in the cellular communications industry for the past 15+/- years. I started off on the construction side of the industry building and maintaining the tower structures. I live in Texas near the Gulf Coast and one of the jobs we had was damage assessment and repair after hurricanes. During the early years of my career most first responders long range radios were Nextel phones with the push to talk feature. If the towers were not operating neither were their radios, so we were often called in within hours of the disaster before the general public or news media were allowed in. I did not go to Louisiana during Katrina but I worked in Texas about a month later when Rita hit Houston. I also worked Houston when Ike hit. The other major storm I worked was Dolly that hit Brownsville right on the Texas/Mexican border. Rita caused a lot of flooding in costal areas and the worst traffic jam from Houston to Dallas I have ever seen. For those who don’t know that is about a 300 miles. Ike was devastating along the coast and into Houston. Dolly did a lot of damage too but the storm surge was only about 4′ and flooding mostly communities right on the coast and causing wide spread power outages. What amazed me was how people acted. Like most major cities Houston has a mixture of races but there are large areas that are predominately minority. A large number of these minority areas are on government assistance of some sort. The crime, looting, and violence was strongest in these areas. Brownville on the other hand is 99.9% Hispanic. Most of these people are relatively poor. I will be honest, when we left for Brownsville I had several guns and plenty of ammo in my truck. I had seen how people acted during Katrina. I had seen how the refugees from Katrina that came to Houston acted. I expected nothing short of the Alamo when I got to Brownsville. What I found was humbling. Yes there was some looting I’m sure but for the most part everyone was just trying to put their lives back together. Neighbors helping neighbors. We did not have any armed holdups of the fuel trucks refueling generators like we had in Houston. I was shocked. Then it hit me. The difference between these two cities was that fewer people in Brownsville were on government assistance. They had not been conditioned to a handout. So my conclusion is that the greatest threat in CW2 is not from poor minorities but from lazy, conditioned minorities.