Profile photo of L Tecolote
L Tecolote
Survivalist
member8

My “takeaway” from these various videos is that, yes, alcohol does burn hot enough to make a mantle give off very useable light, especially ethanol, which is what I would be producing, if at all. But I n order to have a stable and controllable flame, the fuel needs to be pressurized, whether by pump, or by self-pressurizing, using the wick-in-heated-delivery-tube method. And in any lantern larger than that soda-can camping lamp (slick!) there should be a needle valve to control consumption/ illumination.

The technique for joining two soda can bottoms for a small cooking stove is not too hard, but requires some care not to introduce dents while cutting/ cleaning the parts. Both upper and lower pieces must be the same diameter. To widen the lower part to fit the upper, use a third can, filled with hardened plaster of Paris, or concrete, lubricated lightly with vaseline or cooking oil. Press the filled can evenly into the lower piece. The trapped air pressure should make separation easy. Clean (degrease), then fit the prepared upper, lightly coated with JB weld, into the lower piece. Many variations on this theme have been made/touted/displayed in “lightweight camping” forums, e.g., the “penny stove,” but for all the skill/ care lavished on them, and the justifiable pride their makers take, the simplest, easiest lightweight alcohol stove is one made from a small aluminum cat food can, by punching a row of holes around the top (paper punch) just under the rim. Pour in 0.5 – 1 ounce, light it. Reguires a little shielding from wind for best efficiency, easily provided with a vetilated pot stand made of a slightly larger, taller can, e.g., a beef stew can. Pardon my excess; I’ve been a craftsy meshuga since kindergarten.

Cry, "Treason!"