elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

This is a very good theme that Danie has raised. I’ve found that most prepping talk seems to be that people have pictured their ideal preparedness vision and are working towards it. But Danie asks what to do about people we care for who are elderly, or disabled in some way, or are over weight and very unfit, or they are children and can’t cope with the adult demands. Then there are people who are blind, or have an amputation, or are bedridden, or need dialysis twice a week. The list can go on.

Prepping seems to assume being able-bodied, but what shall we do if we don’t live that life? Shall we be ruthless, employ survival of the fittest and let the rest die? Shall we put ourselves at risk to protect the weaker members of our group, and possibly die because of it? These are not trite questions, but are very difficult and painful ones. I think they can reveal what sort of character a person has.

Sometimes there is no easy pop TV culture answer where some convenient twist in the story or some techno-babble saves the day, and no magic reset button that means that next week everything will be back to normal. Personally I think that building character now is what will define us when hard times come.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!