Tolik
Tolik
Survivalist
member10

Problem is , the population in the southwest is very large , the land is very poor . Nevada is worse than Arizona that way . Problem with any ‘ survival ” skills learned from the military , or otherwise , is that its only meant for short term . Just enough to get by , while your en route to civilization with proper infrastructure . Useful yes , but that is not the same as the skills of say , the Bedouin have , because its actually a permanent way of life for them . So in that respect , anything the military or an organization could teach you , is only of marginal value at best , if you dont live the life , and fully understand the land in the region of where you live . The Southwestern deserts in the US , are far different than the ones in Saudi Arabia or Iraq , different plants , animals , etc . , and unfortunately , being able to live off the land for any length of time out there , are skills that take years of constant practice to learn . Even where I live , where water is not an issue , with plenty of game , fishing , and raw materials for shelter , its not going to be a cake walk . I have no illusions that it would be one of the hardest things a person can do …….and thats in the summer , but at least the land will support you here . Interesting thing is , when I still lived there , I was always looking for areas that would be a relatively safe place to hang out for a short time , because of the remoteness , and difficulty getting there . One place I came up with was Death Valley . LOL , yes Death Valley , nobody in their right mind would choose to go there if they didnt know anything about the place . There IS water in Death Valley , however , some of the places where the springs are , are so remote , and rugged , that it takes a lot of water just to get there . The locations are only accessible on foot , and you have to cross some of the most god forsaken land , and fight rugged mountains to reach it . Some brave hikers do , but not many make the attempt , as it takes more than a day to do it . SHTF , the trogs would avoid places like that , and rightfully so . I thought of that , because Beaty NV , is the nearest town to the National Park , and only a couple of hours away from Las Vegas . I know of more friendly remote areas in Arizona , but that wouldnt do him any good in NV . Cactus , glad you arrived , as like GS said , we are willing to give any help we can , and sometimes just by asking the question , helps us get back on mental track . In that respect , we should thank you .