Profile photo of L Tecolote
L Tecolote
Survivalist
member8

(edited to add missing text)

Tolik, I agree with almost everything you just said, except, “money was pretty much worthless” (in the Great Depression of the 30’s). Actually it was quite valuable, but there wasn’t much to go around. You could get a cup of coffee for a nickel, and a sandwich for a dime. A house was worth in the low thousands, but few had enough to buy one. My Dad bought a new Ford model T for $225 (before I was born.)

The country “got out” of the depression with arms manufacturing jobs paid for with the new currency “created” (inflated) to finance WWII “Money,” such as it was, became less valuable, but more plentiful, continuing on (somewhat unevenly) to the present. Many of those manufacturing jobs have gone to China (ammo, boots, uniforms) or Mexico (cars, trucks.) The (full two ounce) Hershey bar I could buy for a nickel when I was five, has slimmed down to an ounce and 5/8, and now retails for $1.39- $1.69. Cheap coffee (Mickey D’s, etc) is a buck a cup, and the cheap sandwich is $2 -$3, (I don’t even consider the chi-chi $5 coffee and the $10 sandwiches.) And now, despite all the happy talk about bringing jobs back, and making the stock markets roar again, many cannot find the kind of work for which their continually debased “education” prepares them.

These days, our “economy” is more like that which preceded the Great Depression. Plenty of “money” at low rates, is available for those with assets and secure, high-paying jobs. Less is available for those with lesser sources of income and fewer assets … at somewhat higher rates. But the entire financial edifice is a shaky house of cards, at best. Governments “need” (demand) an ever-increasing percentage of what the employed and profitable earn, to pacify, and buy the votes of, the growing non-productive segment of the population. With a currency based on ones and zeroes (more zeroes than ones, these days) confiscation of savings and retirement accounts, by both bank and government is only a matter of time.

Having a profession, a trade, a skill, to exchange for goods and other services, is essential. Having a clientele wealthy/skilled enough to barter for it is a bonus. Having a safe place to practice it is wise. But it looks like, from the discussion so far, that there is no immediately dependable alternative to “money,” if/when it fails.

FWIW:

https://goldswitzerland.com/11000-kg-gold-for-a-painting-will-cost-110-kg-in-2025/

(hat tip: Survivalblog.com)

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.