Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

This is true, Jersey…

Settlers heading west would invest in silver coins and flip one into their water barrel to keep the water from going bad. I’m planning on doing the same thing for us, but doubling down – filter the water, then add bleach, then flip in a silver eagle and then slam the lid on. Should keep it good to go for at least 5 years (but having a test kit doesn’t hurt either).

Tolik- I’m surprised that someone else knows why ships of the line had copper clad hulls. :) Nice to know I’m not the only useless knowledge junky on the site… by the way, when copper sheet got too expensive, they poured powdered copper into paint and then painted the hulls. Same effect = barnacles no likey, but it didn’t look nearly as boss as the copper clad hulls…

Be advised that while yes, copper was used for cookware for centuries, copper oxide (both Copper 1 and 2) is poisonous. Copper pots and pan used for cooking and eating should be highly polished and absolutely clean. However, a copper cistern for drinking water need not be cleaned to the same standard since I do not think Cu(I)O and Cu(II)O are water-soluble…

An example of a solid copper water cistern for drinking water…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.