Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Part of the problem in PR is their being an island makes the logistics of getting stuff to them harder. Part is they had not maintained their infrastructure. Part is a bloated dysfunctional govt that cannot do anything quickly or efficiently.

GS is right that something like a New Madrid earthquake would change things quickly on the mainland, not just from the immediate damage, but also from the disruption of bridges and utility/communications/energy infrastructure over the Mississippi coming down cutting East-West transport and links.

This past weekend I was on Long Island for an annual event, this time further out on the island than I normally go. The sprawl is endless and there are not even remotely enough resources to sustain the population if the daily fleet of supply trucks didn’t come. I doubt many there realize just how trapped they are. Other than private boats and a few ferries, there is no way to get off the island except going through NYC. Long Island has about 8 million people. There’s almost 9 million more in NYC itself with another million each in Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT plus 6 million in NYC’s sprawl in Northern NJ. Yet few on Long Island realize just how precarious their position is in a major SHTF event. I am always glad when I get north of Westchester County again on my way home.