Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Whirlibird, you’re hopefully right. Unfortunately, the investigators and the department themselves have set themselves up for questions by first claiming the woman was “talking” (that’s an ongoing process) to the driver’s side officer, when the passenger side officer shot her. Now suddenly, there is a loud noise we didn’t hear about before, and the woman was “approaching” the car (i.e. not already there and engaged in a conversation) when the loud noise occurred, startling the driver, followed by the passenger firing two or three shots. Those are two different scenarios. But clearly she was already at the door when shot, based on the autopsy report. And the driver’s story now conflicts with what police initially reported – that a conversation was already going on between the woman and the driver. Why would that not suggest the possibility of circling the wagons and minimizing damage to the department at minimum, if not the offending officer? That’s just a logical – tentative – deduction.

Objectively, that gives the very appearance of the story changing to affect the outcome. It’s no your fault, it doesn’t indict the entire police force up there (or anywhere else), it just simply but clearly ADDS to the poor appearance. I already said I’ll reserve judgement, but you’ve already determined that a cover up simply isn’t in question and that a “conspiracy theory” is afloat. I take exception to that.

As for me, in the relatively recent past I’ve experienced not one, but TWO exceptionally uncomfortable encounters with police when I literally was asking for information to clarify a street sign (in one case conflicting speed limit signs, and in the other case a no-parking sign that conflicted with a nearby posted exception. In both cases I was engaging the police as a resource, not as adversaries, yet they immediately determined that I was hostile, treated me as such, and in one case my wife grabbed my arm and said, “Let’s just leave.” She wasn’t having to calm me down or change my attitude – she was literally afraid that particular cop was about to “go off.” So was I – and I’ll guarantee he was. I had all sorts of choice things I wanted to say, but was more intelligent than that. I also seriously considered reporting him, but I quite expect there would be retaliation that I’d never be able to “prove,” but he’d make sure I “knew” where it was coming from. His hostility was incredible, and entirely unexpected and out of line. Was I scared? You betcha! It was that kind of encounter – totally out of the blue (no pun intended). I was about to be taken down by that cop. The other case wasn’t quite as dramatic, but was heading that way, and I was able to defuse it sufficiently to just leave as soon as possible without further provoking the cop I’d never provoked in the first place (except in his own mind). In neither case did I ever get an answer to either question.

Prior to those, I’d had nothing but very positive experiences with police throughout my life, and had every reason to approach them with that expectation – in other words, not even close to hostile, threatening, accusing, or similar. Sorry, the world’s changed, including the police attitudes toward civilians, and my own wariness of current active cops is considerable – when it simply wasn’t that way just a year ago. And as I read the various stories on this case as they unfold layer by layer, I see clear discrepancies between initial statements from officials vs. newer versions of the story – also from officials. Given three days since the incident, with very little other information and no identified witnesses (and no other interviews scheduled according to police themselves), sumpin’ don’t smell right. Don’t take it personally – it absolutely isn’t.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."