Tolik
Tolik
Survivalist
member10

That brings up some questions in my mind . I myself have worn and own a suit of Medieval plate armor , plate armor alone = 65 lbs , chain mail underneath = 30 lbs . both in 14 gauge steel . The worst thing is not the weight , but the HEAT , your cloths have to be saturated with your own sweat before your comfortable . I wore it all day long on occasions . That was in my younger days . I currently back pack in deep woods , with a pack thats at 70+ pounds . Now granted , you dont just do either one of those things from day one , you have to build up . That being said , why were past generations able to carry just as much , or more , without problems , and our people now have difficulty ? Examples : Roman soldiers , ( Marius is the one that came up with the standard of 70 lbs of kit , generally still used as a limit today ) , British soldiers kit of WW1 , etc , etc . Knowing what I myself can do , and seeing what people in the not so distant past have done . Why are we now having a problem ? It seems obvious to me that if Metero Mark cant handle the load , then he heeds to hit the weights , and the Army’s PT is obviously lacking . Give them a good weapon , with a REAL projectile , 10 lbs for any rifle is not outrageous . Almost every rifle we , and other countries went to war with in the past , weighed at least that much . Were past people just tougher than we are today ? I dont think so , human biology doesnt change that fast . It seems clear that its the lack of PT , not the gear . Give these poor bast*rds a chance , with at least a 30 cal. intermediate projectile , that has a good chance of punching through the enemy’s cover . Yes the AR platform is , and will continue to be a solid platform , much like the AK , but advances in firearm development are worth exploring . Put the burden on the manufactures . The military puts up the call , and sets up the criteria for what they want , and the manufactures compete with a design . No reason that they also cant do the same with ammunition manufactures , create one that does not currently exist on the market , set the criteria , and let them come up with something . Americans are very good at that kind of thing ;) I know how that all must sound , but its very confusing to me , WHY people are having such a problem with their kit , these days ? To me , its a question that needs to be asked . Whats are we doing wrong with our training ? The training is there , with special units , thats obvious , because those guys can do some almost super human things . Perhaps we need to reevaluate the structure of the regular infantry , and not skimp on the weapon they are given ? Just a thought and observation . I consider myself average , but I can do it . If I can handle the load , I know everybody else can also , if they build up .