Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Our squirrels collect the black walnuts from our trees and hide them. One time I had a wood pile which had been sitting for awhile. When I finally stacked it I uncovered a cache of walnuts. I just left them and sure enough the squirrels came and took them away. We have apple trees but that means we have lots of deer friends. Every night the come like the shadows. If we could chip them and track them on a screen they would make a great alarm system. A running deer is a deer that’s been frightened by something or someone. We used to have duck but an owl came and killed them. This farming thing is you vs. the animals, the birds, the bugs, the weather. Nature is our enemy, the grocery store/farmers market is our friend. Lol

LMAO! “You vs the animals, the birds, the bugs, the weather…”

From your mouth to God’s ear. Sometimes, I get so frustrated I’m like “I WILL WIPE OUT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM CRITTERS I CAN FIND ANY WAY I CAN! I DON’T GIVE A S*** IF IT’S EVEN AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION!”

But, I don’t really mean it… it’s just frustration. Usually I find a way that is, ah… “less destructive” than what I first thought of…

Our plum trees are *about* ready to start cranking out plums… and I heard through the coconut telegraph that bears LOVE plums. They will pass up acres of apple trees to get at one plum tree… and destroy it in the process.

If that is true… then there is a problem. I like bears. Well, I respect them as a fellow Apex Predator anyway. Bears are “No Touchy – Off Limits” for me. Unless it is coming right at us or something… But also I don’t want all our plum trees to be destroyed because Smokey wants a snack…

Still working on the duck thing… trying to build an island for them to protect them from the raptors and coons, etc..

Guess we will have to see how this plays out.

Tomorrow: putting down Sevin to kill off the grubs and ticks, then tilling the garden…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1