Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Listening to that voice in your head telling to you that something is wrong is life saving sometimes. It is not only about folks who are trained to recognize something wrong (police, military etc.) other folks too can “spot” that something is wrong, but quite often they choose to ignore that. — Selco

That little voice is an anachronism… an ancient holdover from when we were still living like animals. Everyone has it, but soft modern living has dulled it so much, most people cannot even hear it anymore. Folks who grew up on the streets, in tough neighborhoods, soldiers, cops.. they’ve sharpened that little voice and tend to listen when it speaks up. I mentioned “normalcy bias” before. That means that since nothing has happened to you before, you unconsciously assume that nothing will happen to you ever. So, you walk around in a daze, ignoring everything. Bad Guys look for behavior like this. Also, walking with your shoulders hunched, staring at the ground, meek.. marks you as prey. Walk with confidence, even if you don’t feel it or are scared to death. Head up, shoulders back, look people square in the eye, a purposeful stride. Be aware.

Lose the iCrap. Walking around pushing buttons, texting, means you are oblivious. I could walk right up behind you, bash you in the head with a brick and be long gone… and you’re left saying “he came out of nowhere”. No, he didn’t. YOU were oblivious.

How (did) do you prepare your kid to that situation, when he see gun in your hand, when you do something out of order, like that sharp turn or similar situation? — Selco

Some other parents might take issue with this, but by the time the Goon was on the bench next to the exit, I told my son in a very low voice “Hey. Look at me. Don’t be scared. You see that guy on the bench behind me? Yeah, that guy. I think he is a bad guy and I think he might be after us. We’re going to walk away from him, but I want you to keep an eye on him. If you see him, tell me what he is doing.” I tried to show my son that I was in control – calm, master of the situation. He picked up on the vibe and he was okay with it.

My son was old enough to know the difference between “Bad Guys” and “Good Guys”. He knew I habitually carried a gun. He wasn’t afraid. He sat in the buggy, watching behind us (since he was facing that way anyways) and when we were in the parking lot, he was looking around with me, looking for The Goon. When he saw me take my .45 out of its holster and put it in my lap, he knew that things had become very serious. Still, I tried to show confidence, not worry. That I was in control of the situation and its master. He was totally cool with it.

When I told him to get low and cover his ears, he did so without hesitation. After the Goon and his goon buddies were gone, we were actually laughing and making crude jokes about the Goon – a tension breaker. When we got home, he was all excited about “how we beat the bad guys!” and I let him tell his mamma (my wife Steffi) all about it the only way a 4 year old boy can tell it… :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1