Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

I don’t use snow tires either but our vehicles are 4WD, and I’ve 40 some odd years of practice. A big part of it however is road crews, even in the smallest towns, generally know what they’re doing and keep the roads in decent condition. It is only during the storm itself if the plows can’t keep up or if its a wet snow that becomes hardpack that it is iffy. I have to go up and over a mountain on a very curvy road in order to get pretty much anywhere and earlier this week it did have hardpack conditions one morning before the road crew was able to get enough salt down. It was a bit hairy going down, and I had a school bus in front of me trying to maneuver it too.

I live on a dirt road. For dirt roads the desired winter condition is the opposite. They don’t salt them as you don’t want the surface melting and creating slippery mud atop a frozen underbase. You want it hardpack all winter, but the road crew makes sure there is always some sand or grit on it to give traction. About a half a mile up the road from me is as steep a hill as you are going to find anywhere and the road crew checks it every day. The situation is made worse by it barely being two cars wide in the summer, so they really need to pay attention to it in the winter. Fortunately I rarely need to go in that direction as it wouldn’t get me anywhere I need to go.

I usually wear winter boots throughout the winter months and always have heavy duty gloves and my bomber hat in the truck too should I get stuck somewhere and need to stay warm.