Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Hmm, anyone else think of soylent green?

LOL! I have to admit, that was my first thought also. :-)

But upon further reading, I realized I hadn’t done enough research over the years to properly educate myself. I did not realize that sweet potatoes are NOT related to yams or regular potatoes of the variety grown next door to you, in Idaho. Thus, there’s no problem with the poison contained in “standard” potatoes, when they turn green on the outside (the skins) due to light exposure. And sweet potato leaves don’t have the oxalic acid problem that spinach or rhubarb have. Apparently, they’re fairly sweet, and can be eaten raw without problem (makes for a nice smoothie, I suspect – will have to try it in the near future, as we are close to having our final crop of sweet potatoes for the year).

The only concern I’ve got is about the protein – I can’t find anything that suggests it’s of a higher quality and particularly more complete source of protein than most any other vegetable source (the reason people combine beans and rice, for example – to get a more complete protein intake if they’re vegetarian).

With all that aside, thanks for the reference Namelus. I learned a lot. I doubt I’ll be looking to pay somebody good money for processed sweet potato leaf protein capsules or tablets, but there’s still good info for use on both a “normal” basis as well as for garden planting for SHTF.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."