Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

I have little or no doubt that we’re seeing more and more resistant strains of antibiotics, due to the widespread use of them with animals, as well as under-treating of human patients (either through poor assessment and prescribing by the doctors, nurse practitioners, and PAs that are dispensing these things for EVERYTHING, without knowing if it’s really even a bacterial illness a patient has, or because of bad patients that stop taking the meds as soon as they “feel better,” leaving some of the bacteria still alive in their bodies, then able to come back even stronger).

However, when I thoroughly read the article, it differs massively from the video embedded in it. The video says nothing about the Pennsylvania woman recovering – let alone how she recovered. But from the article on which the video is based we find:

the tests showed this E. coli was resistant to antibiotics commonly used first for such infections. She was successfully treated with another kind of antibiotic.

Further testing completed in the last week confirmed that the E. coli was carrying a gene resistant to Colistin. Colistin is an old antibiotic. By the 1970s, doctors had mostly stopped using it because of its harsh side effects. But it was brought back as other antibiotics began losing their effectiveness. It’s used against hard-to-treat bacteria that resist one of the last lines of defense, antibiotics called carbapenems.

That sounds nothing like what the article headline would imply, or even what the accompanying video is saying. So yet again, I have to wonder if we’re being set up or what. After all, the OLD antibiotic wouldn’t work, so they switched her to a newer, different type – and she recovered! What did I miss here?