Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

33 States have Republican majorities in the State House of Representatives.

Thanks, 74. I was wondering how many states had more Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives, vs. the Democrat numbers. That would determine the results if the House ends up selecting the next President of the United States, not the state legislatures of course.

Mostly for Freedom: I just saw that this is finally being reported by a few in the media in the same way I’m seeing it (my wife saw it mentioned once late last night). On Fox News they were interviewing some guy from something like the National Republican Lawyers Association (or whatever the exact name was – never heard of them before). The representative said he was personally surprised when they looked at the numbers and realized that this exact scenario actually could take place. As I said above, all they’d need would be a relatively small number of states with just enough Electoral College votes to deny either Trump or Hillary a majority. Remember – all the analysis about Electoral College votes to this point has been with the assumption that the only two candidates would be Clinton or Trump. So the 3rd party folks would be targeting states where Sanders won and Trump lost in the primaries – the bigger in both cases, the better. Those would be the states most likely to be fed up with Hillary and Trump, and opt for an alternative instead of staying home. If JUST enough states could be won by the 3rd party candidate to keep either Trump or Clinton from winning the Electoral College, the whole process goes into the House of Representatives. Fox News introduced the lawyer by calling this an “end run around the Constitution,” but in fact it is actually manipulatively USING the Constitution to do an end run around the two parties, and select the next president WAY outside the vote of the majority of the people, since it would be the House of Representative being free to name THEIR choice of the top three candidates from the Electoral College results, which would come from the November election results

A 3rd party candidate doesn’t need to be on a primary ballot because all 50 states are still open for the naming of candidates for the November general election. It has NOTHING to do with the primaries or the Republican or Democrat Party conventions. Romney-and-Company only need to tap into the dissatisfaction existing in BOTH parties, convince the public to vote for the 3rd party candidate so that the House could choose the winner from among the THREE candidates. With the number of disaffected Republicans in Congress, there’s a real chance that the House would vote for the establishment-selected candidate, which would be the 3rd party candidate.

And yes, it would be a critical blow to the Republican Party – MAYBE. A whole lot of spin can happen in the next year (and I say “year” to get us well past the inauguration). Once it’s clear that the “end run” was successful, the Republican establishment would be spinning, spinning, spinning – trying to convince the voters that it was THEM that saved the Party FROM Donald Trump. A long shot? Yes. But plausible? I fear it could be. And I say “fear” because it would set a precedent for manipulation of what was intended by the Constitution as the way of electing U.S. presidents, while at the same time actually using the provisions of the Constitution to DO that manipulation. That would establish a new “normal,” embolden the political hijackers even more, and make the future all the more unpredictable. The ONLY possible good thing to come out of it, and it would still be enormously risky, would be the sudden rise of a viable 3rd party in future elections. But that would only happen if the establishment-selected next president never returned to the Republican Party, but instead trumpeted the newly emboldened 3rd party (poor pun intended).

But regardless, it still would set a precedent for incredible manipulation, and would also likely turn off a massive number of voters to the point that even fewer bothered to vote in future elections. The possibilities are almost endless, and only partially predictable. And the likelihood of this being pulled off is not remote.