Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint

Roy, as far as water production goes, there are some ideas in a couple of threads. Here’s one I started:

There is another previous one I’d forgotten about that I’d also added to. This system collects rain off the roof and stores it in plastic barrels (preferably barrels that have had food in them previously, or are food grade if new). The water can be used for gardens and general purpose (non-consumption) as is, but for drinking I built a home-made version of the Berkey Water Filter system, using plastic food grade buckets, and the Black Berkey replacement water filters. They remove virtually all harmful chemicals (except fluoride and arsenic – there’s an add-on filter for that), as well as virtually all bacteria and viruses. I simply haven’t found anything that exceeds the removal standards of the Black Berkey filters.

We currently use tap water that we run through the home-made Berkey filter system for all cooking and drinking – beats any bottled water you’ll ever taste. But if we get to a SHTF situation, or at least our local water system goes down for an extended period, using the rain water in the barrels is simply not an issue – the Berkey filters can produce pure water from even the worst drainage ditch or scummy pond water.

Just divert water from your gutters into the barrels, have an overflow system (like what’s shown in ours), and you’re limited only by the number of storage containers you have. We prefer the 55 gallon barrels partly because of size, but also because they’re easy to work with. The way they’re set up, I can drain one, remove it from the rest for whatever reason (some sort of maintenance, I suppose), and put it back in the system when I’m ready. In the meantime, I’ve still got the contents of the other barrels available. If I want more than 275 gallons of storage, the system as designed is modular, so I can add as many barrels as I want/need.

Also be sure to check out YouTube for ideas on water storage and filtration, as well as food storage/production in all sorts of climates.

"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."