Profile photo of Brulen
Brulen
Survivalist
member9

I saw an Amish farmer plowing his field this spring. He had 6 horses hooked up to a 2 gang plow. I watched him for awhile. It’s tough on steel hitting rocks he would need access to an arc welder. My wife’s father used to use a no till corn planter built by the Amish in PA. He died a few years ago at 91 and I don’t know what happened to it. It was an expensive item. He tried to use his kids for rock picking but they rebelled. So he bought a claw thing like you see in one of those arcade games. His fields were loaded with glacial till, he really needed it. He didn’t go corporate and remained an old style farmer very knowledgeable about the land.

I have a Troy wood splitter and the splitter wedge cracked along the bolt hole. I’ve used it a lot. Its Cast iron.I took it to a welder and he reinforced it but had to use a special technique. At first he didn’t think it could be repaired. I eventually got a new wedge from China. It doesn’t fit quite the same though.

My next door neighbor has an electric kiln for firing pottery. The temperatures it operates at I think it can melt Al fairly easily and certainly lead. I found a book on making a gingery forge to cast things. He’s got a lot of interesting stuff, including plans for a still. Not that I have any plans to make any with Everclear so cheap and available. You really never know when you might need to have a basic understanding of the tech involved in these things. Engines tools machines, the more you use them the easier they are to use.

On the practical side of doing manual labor. I’ve noticed it’s a good idea to go horizontal every few hours when I use the chainsaw on logs. I’ll take an hour off and rest. And if it’s a big job I won’t start with a long day I’ll do a couple hours first and gradually work up to half a day. All I do is stack the rounds and split them a year or two later. At least they’re a bit lighter by then. My wife likes to help split wood and we can get thru quite a bit in a day. Usually we’ll do a couple of loads every other year
during the winter and spring.