Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

Brulen, not sure how much the test was that you saw, but I did order one a few years back (before I found a much better way), and it cost me $75, though that’s now down to $50. I did it because I’d become pretty well convinced that 5000 units per day was not only safe, but prudent. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t over the max recommended vitamin D blood level (I wasn’t – and never have been since, taking 5000 IU/day for a number of years now). Since taking 5000 IU/day and getting tested annually at my physical, it’s always in the low to mid-90s range (ng/ml). Anything under 100 is completely safe and still within normal limits on lab tests.

There’s good information at the Vitamin D Council’s web site:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

I found out that although the Vitamin D level isn’t a normal part of my annual physical blood work (I’m fortunate to have a plan that includes an annual physical), I could request it from the physician, and it was included (ask for the 25(OH)D test). I had to pay a little extra (nowhere near $75) for it, but that was a bargain to know I was within normal limits. Since then, I haven’t even been charged for that test for whatever reason – I just have to ask for it. If your medical insurance doesn’t include basic blood work annually, then ask that it be included if your doctor orders blood chemistry labs for some other reason.

According to the Vitamin D Council information (their founder has done decades of extensive research on vitamin D), the D3 form is by far the better of the two, not the D2 form (see the above web page for more information on that).