Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

Dorette,

I think MB and WB have said it well – don’t let your history bind you too long, and end up in a situation where you no longer have the means and/or freedom to get out. Take the steps now, be as ready to make whatever move becomes necessary, on very short notice.

Probably the only thing with which I’d take some issue in Bob Chapman’s email is his statement, “On a scale of
10 – 10 being the worst, the US and England are 10s, S. Africa 7 and Canada and Australia 4 or 5.”

Not living anywhere else, I’ve only got direct personal experience with the U.S. I haven’t been out of the U.S. in decades, so anything I’d say about other countries would be at best, intelligently speculative. But as bad as I think things are here, I still would not want to try my luck anywhere else. Do I expect it to get worse here? Most definitely. And what happens with our November elections could radically alter the time frame for our own collapse, depending on the makeup of our Congress beginning next year, combined with whoever the next president is, and at least one (probably more) Supreme Court appointment. Some of the freedoms we still enjoy could become more problematic, including the right to own just about any firearm we want in most locations around the nation, and not even have to register them (though current purchases are tracked very “nicely” as evidenced by how quickly the news media can report when and where a school-shooter obtained all his weapons, for example). There are many people that own older guns that came back from WWII, were purchased long before there was any government record keeping, etc., and most of those aren’t listed on any government register – nor are they required to be (currently – subject to change, pending political conditions). And for the most part, I can travel anywhere I want to go in the U.S. without ever being stopped for any reason. There are relatively rare drug/alcohol check points set up for random checks, but that’s something few people run across over multi-year periods in most areas. We haven’t gone too far down the road to a cashless society where every single purchase can be tracked, if the government so desires. I can walk in any store and pay cash for most anything I want, without question (except perhaps $10,000+ purchases that might get reported due to the government crackdown on large amounts of cash (supposedly to combat illegal drug trafficking). And private transactions are quite simple, particularly with cash or barter.

So there are still a lot of freedoms left that many countries simply don’t enjoy anymore (particularly the ability to protect and defend ourselves, generally including concealed carry in most public areas). I agree that if the U.S. goes down financially, most of the world will come down, too. But that’s a safety factor in a way – China, Saudi Arabia, and others are making noises about hurting the U.S. financially. Yet if they do TOO much damage, it will impact them as well.

Do I see it all being well in the future? No. Call it pessimism or simply realism, I don’t care. I think we’ve gone too far in the U.S. to have an orderly (or probably peaceful) transition back to what our Founders envisioned. But if I had to pick a better country, I don’t believe I could find one. This nation has the potential for resource self-sufficiency if needed, has a still relatively well educated population, and a history of innovation. Those things don’t go away just because SHTF – they simply won’t be able to be maximized for a period of time, perhaps a long period of time. Oh – and we’re not (yet) being overrun by “refugees” from who knows where. Yes, we’ve got a lot from South and Central America, but many of them are productive, and few of them have any serious criminal intent toward directly harming the U.S. Compared to Europe, we’re in FAR better shape in that regard.

The bottom line is that you and your husband both have good minds, and you’re both looking out for the welfare of your family. While it may not be time to leave (or at least for his comfort level with leaving), you can still be making plans to implement in a number of different scenarios, and be as ready to go as possible before you simply can’t get out. And if you have to leave, you’ll at least be leaving with your minds and your lives. There are worse alternatives.