Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Very guilty as well. Interestingly, my wife and I were just recently talking about this very subject, and hit on an idea that – while not fool proof – is a heck of a lot better than letting time fly by as it does in later years. We’ve found that our call phone calendars are wonderful reminders for upcoming appointments, etc. Heck – I set a reminder for a an event that occurs tomorrow morning before I usually even get up (one of the “perks” of retirement – not setting an alarm most days). I’d totally forgotten about it – until my 12-hour “reminder” alarm went off just a few hours ago. OH! I need to get to bed earlier tonight, and set the alarm for early tomorrow. The same sort of reminder happened about a week ago on something I’d forgotten about, and had set a reminder alarm to go off mid-evening the night before. That’s what triggered the idea to set up “check-and-recharge dates” for key batteries we have, including the small Goal Zero power supply we got a year or so ago. It holds a nice charge, but can’t sit forever, and can be quickly ruined if it goes to “dead” and stays that way too long. I just recharged some little AAA and AA cells last week, and realized I’d let a few go much too long, they’d corroded, and were beyond salvage when I tried to condition and recharge them.

The same can be true for virtually anything else – put it in the electronic calendar, and set a “reminder” alarm for a time I’m likely to be awake, so I can be reminded and start planning my schedule around the maintenance items coming up. Unfortunately, I’d only thought about the battery recharges – until this thread. Now we need to go through our items and schedule the PM on the appropriate list of things. Thanks, Whirlibird – this triggered a solution to a problem I’d “forgotten” I even had.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."