Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint

GS , only 3% of the population actually took part in the American Revolution ………..and it changed the world . The civil war , the numbers were probably a bit higher , but probably not a whole lot higher . Doesnt take a majority of people fighting back to change things .

I “get” the “changed the world” reference to the American Revolution. But I’m failing to see the positive change in the case of the War of Northern Aggression (a.k.a. Civil War). And even in Revolution v1.0, the Constitution was already being subverted, as evidenced in some of Jefferson’s letters as early as 1820. And given that there were more combat deaths in the U.S. Civil War than in all wars from WWI through today (not to mention the countless civilian deaths and rampant destruction of the South’s infrastructure), I’m not sure if that’s a ringing endorsement for a relatively (whatever that means) small number of people to sacrifice their lives with little hope for a major change this time. Even if a bunch of AR-15s, .308s, .22s, .38 specials, and 9mm weapons somehow overwhelmed the United States Military (I don’t even want to hear about the Posse Comitatus act prohibiting that!), who’d be around to support the old order when almost nobody under about age 55 even understands it?

People understood (and LIVED) self-sufficiency in 1776. People have no clue about self-sufficiency 240 years later. Who would be there to hand out all the “free stuff” after the war was over, and “we” nominally “won” the Great American Revolution v2.0? This generation knows nothing about a perilous Atlantic crossing, short growing seasons, living without electricity or gasoline or motorized vehicles, etc. “We” would be blamed for the total breakdown of society, and frankly, many of the “locals” would likely be fighting against “us.”

Ben Franklin understood the perilous nature of the experiment when he was asked by Mrs. Powel what they had developed behind those doors – “A republic, if you can keep it.” He knew that the odds weren’t heavily in favor of success, and those folks were a whole lot better equipped to deal with the adversities of war, severe seasons (especially winter), dependency on only what could be grown locally, etc. Sorry, but I just don’t see it being supported, even if “we” seemed initially to “win” it for them. Let the war crimes trials begin! – I can almost hear the cries now. We’d be the terrorists and war criminals, and “the people” would be the prosecutors. I don’t even want to THINK about the courts,

If someone brings the fight to me, I’m sure as heck quite willing to make their day, and if I go down, I fully intend to even the score (at minimum) in the process. But I’m not initiating it. I go back to my earlier question: where do the revolutionary plans come from? How are the freedom fighters identified and organized? How are the plans disseminated (with appropriate OPSEC) and carried out? How does the training occur (not just individual Saturday afternoon range time practice)? How does the command and unit structure even get organized, before the conflict, so all the willing citizen-soldiers know exactly who they’re following, what their jobs are, etc., etc., etc.? And how does that force stand up to far more powerful weaponry, surveillance and commo capability, etc.? Heck – how do we even communicate, when there’s no established, standardized commo system (frequencies, mode [USB, LSB, AM, FM, encryption], etc.)? It all sounds good, even romantic in theory, but carrying out a successful operation requires planning, training, organization, standards, etc., that simply don’t exist, even if we disregard the vastly superior force “we’d” be up against. Forget Mosul, Fallujah, etc. – those guerrilla fighters knew how to do it, and had in one form or another been doing it for years before we ever arrived on scene. Where are our large numbers of trained, organized, and motivated potential guerrilla fighters today? And who’s going to lead them that they’d trust (not just at the top, but down to the unit and squad level)?

I expect that if anything really developed, we’d devolve very quickly into a situation that Selco knows all too much about – and NOT an organized, successful “take America back” experience.

"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.