MB, Brulen, Free, Selco, etc..

I’m no spring chicken either…

Yeah, I still have my military chops, but as far as aging is concerned – it ain’t the years, it’s the mileage. I was hard on my body when I was young. Now, I’m paying for that. 48 years young, but I carry enough injuries for half a dozen people… I got one, maybe two good fights left in me – and I know it. My days of creepin’ and peepin’ in the boonies are pretty much long gone. I’ll do it if I really have to, but I don’t know how far I’ll get and I’ll sure as hell hate it – I like my comfy couch, hot coffee and waking up NOT soaking wet after 4 hours of sleep and “oh by the way it’s your turn to pull watch…” Or humping a ruck all day. As far as I’m concerned, I earned it.

But “earn” and “deserve” got nothing to do with it. Things go sideways in a hurry, well, I can either bug out to God knows where (my current Plan B is “Head that way” or something like that…) or I can plunk my butt down right here for the duration. Which is why we bought this place in the first place – we are already bugged out and the rest of the world just has to catch up with us…

My father is now passed on. The Lord took him last year. Mamma yet survives and is in reasonably good shape for her age, but still needs a minder around – a role filled by my brother. They are both welcome at the Doomstead and they know it. My son is coming of age and will be pulling more responsibility around the farm, though he doesn’t know it yet. Heh…

We’re not doing too badly, but the question remains: What happens when “old people” meet “SHTF”? I don’t classify myself as “old” – probably delusion brought on by old age, ironically – but I can see “old” from where I am right now… be nice to know what’s coming… or at least a way of dealing with it that does not rely on being a boat anchor to everyone around me…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Malgus Malgus.