Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

“Permissive societies” jumped out at me… I know this hasn’t much to do with ‘illumination’, but it does have everything to do with ‘permissive societies’….

20-odd years ago, I was a young buck sergeant down South of the Border Where There Ain’t No Law and Order… I was speaking with one of the local constabulary in town when he paused and started an animated conversation with a local. The local was an old man – easily in his late 60’s, hunched over from a lifetime of hard work. The local cop took a small pocket knife off him. Some small cheap thing – hardly more than a toy by our standards – but he took it off him and told him to get lost…

I know I shouldn’t have, but I butted in. The cop’s POV was “No concealed weapons, period”. The old man’s POV was “Hey, that’s all I got to defend myself”. It was the puny knife, rely on a pointy stick, or trust in the tender mercies of the local scumbag population…

I argued hard for the old man. The little knife looked to be his only real possession… The cop was sympathetic, but would not budge. He kept the knife. The old man thanked me for at least trying, and moved on…

Couple weeks later, the old man was found dead. Now, could that knife have changed the outcome? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? I told the local cop when I saw him about the old man. He was… conflicted. And not a little angry with me. Same old, same old: “Dienst ist dienst” and “Befehl ist befehl”. are the same no matter where you go…

If you live in a ‘permissive’ society, then carry everything you can legally. My views on a society “permitting” someone to have the means to defend themselves are well known here… but if you’ve got yourself some wiggle room, some latitude, then use it.

As far as the OP is concerned, I should really carry some type of micro light in my EDC… it’s something I have for the house, the car, the work shed, the barn… everywhere except on my person.

Good article…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1