Profile photo of L Tecolote
L Tecolote
Survivalist
member8

The media has always used real time manipulation, and the population has been eating it up. The methods in the past have just been less technology driven.

74, I agree, but at least most of their manipulation was of the form of turning off the sound when they didn’t want a particular thing said, or having the “reporter” talk over the actual person speaking, cropping “inconvenient” images, etc. At that rate, an astute viewer/listener had a chance a seeing that manipulation was occurring, even when he/she couldn’t supply the missing pieces. This is far more deceptive, since one cannot tell that its happening, except for the general understanding that it is going to be done whenever the facts don’t suit the network’s bias. (All the time?).

GS, your research into “subliminal print advertising” probably coincides roughly in time with my brief introduction to that topic. I had a small business, and a customer and I began to talk (I no longer recall exactly what about) and he invited me to his home, where we continued the discussion. He had previously been employed by one of those university-connected contractors to clandestine government agencies, and he had made a private study of subliminal advertising. He emphasized that when one sees the planted image, unless one realizes what one has seen (and maybe even then) the image, if perceived at all, has an effect. He showed me examples of it in print advertising. The one I recall at the moment was an ad for Salem cigarettes. The overall image was of a young affluent, cheering (smoking) couple, watching a hockey match, seats on the mid-court line, in the background, and two crouching hokey players, clashing on the ice in front of them. The tag line for the ad was ” Alive with pleasure!”

Less apparent was the logo/name on the cuff of one of the player’s glove. Where the name should have been “COOPER” (the manufacturer) it had been altered (cut and paste, with airbrushing, I suppose, since this predated Photoshop by a decade) to say” CANCER.” But this was tiny — 3/16″ long at most. On a letter-size magazine page, I had to use a magnifying glass to be sure. Yet it was there — why?

My (now) friend explained that tobacco industry research had discovered that despite the controversy surrounding the negative health effects of smoking, a significant portion of their customers were feeding a death wish, and this was one of the ways of strengthening their grip, should addiction prove insufficient.

So, yeah, it’s there — with ever better tricks!

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.