Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Very long, very difficult listening to this narcissistic, power hungry person, being reminded that he was representing the entire United States to these young people. It was hard not to be furious. But I did get through it (in a few chunks). I didn’t pick out a lot of differences between capitalism and communism as much as I heard him doing a classic Alinsky job on the question. He almost entirely downplayed the differences rather than discussing them. Instead, he just said, basically, that Cuba has its problems, but it has also developed a lot of great things (especially its medical care despite its economy). So instead of attributing that to the particular -ism (whatever it really is down there) controlling that nation, he just said, “just decide what works,” and not worry about where it fits on the scale of political -isms. He said it’s OK to use “what works,” and my immediate thought was China – supposedly a communist country but using some pieces of market capitalism. That’s classic Alinsky – obscure the real facts, reframe the entire discussion to something entirely different (a shell game by any other name). Obama does that very well. Just remember – the whole idea of communism is a giant red herring. It’s designed to be debated as if it’s a real thing. Never has been, never will be, never was intended by its authors to ever be, either. Marxism is a totally different concept, and the world thinks the two terms are interchangeable. They are not. Communism is what’s in the first three long chapters of the Manifesto – that was the smoke screen for the future (in 1848 terms). Marxism is really what’s in the 3/4 of one page 4th (last) chapter. And almost everyone has missed the fact that it’s radically disconnected from the three chapters that come before it, without appearing to be – again, for a reason. Alinsky capitalized beautifully on that with his Rules for Radicals.

But I was also struck by his continued denunciation of the United States whenever he got the chance, despite some nice things he said about it.

Then there was the piece of trash answer to the young man that asked about what Donald Trump is all about, and whether he could really become President. Obama used that as his opportunity to portray the Republican Party as having moved to the extreme right, and people being swayed by social media “sound bytes” rather than listening to both sides of issues. He made it sound like he was hamstrung at every turn because of the Republicans, using the off-year elections as the “reason” why the Republicans gained all this extreme right-wing power to make life so difficult for him as President. (Uh, Mr. President – what about that absurdly massive budget deal you got in December FROM the Republicans, as just one of a long string of anything BUT far right wing policies?)

One thing that really piqued my curiosity greatly – and I listened to it four times, my wife twice, just to make sure we got it right. At 7:46 into the video, he said we (the world collectively) are moving into the “freedom to build the world in powerful and disruptive ways.” (!) I have no idea what he meant. He was going from a prepared script, and MAYBE he misread something, or MAYBE someone inserted the wrong word, but that’s a very odd mistake. Frankly, I fear it may have been a subtle, inserted message intentionally, because it reflects what he’s all about – fundamental transformation. It corresponds directly with what I believe is the original marching orders – that little 3/4 of one page at the end of the Manifesto. – destruction of the social and political order by whatever means necessary. I could be wrong, but it just jumped out when I heard it the first time, and I quadruple checked it with a double check by my wife to be sure that’s what he really did say, at least (no question about it).

We used to have a saying in the Air Force: “A 10 minute briefing skillfully expanded into an hour and 13 minute presentation.” Blah, blah, blah-blah-blah. Same-old, same-old Barack Hussein Obama. Heck – in the earlier part at some point, he even pointed out, subtly, that he isn’t tied to the United States one bit – he talked about his family having strains of the entire world in it, from African, Asian, Chinese (as if that isn’t Asian), British (with emphasis on the fact that his mother got that FROM her ancestors that came from there). He didn’t bring into that the melting-pot concept of the United States, but rather used it to show how much a part of the world community he really is. Add that to the many digs at the United States, what’s wrong with it, etc., and it just further reinforced the obvious – that far more than 50% of the adult population was duped into either voting FOR the man (not once but twice), or they stayed home and didn’t even vote against him. Only well under 50% voted against him. We’re a nation that doesn’t deserve what we have (at least on paper) as our framework, and he personifies it (with applause from the World).

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."