Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

I agree on the cold climate aspect of it. Just a little bit of moisture with just a little below 32°F, and a lot of destruction starts happening at almost imperceptible levels (at first). Roads up north are more than adequate testimony to that principle. I’m also aware of an absolutely beautiful and expensive marble floor that has to be entirely replaced after only four years. Reason? Improper storage of the tiles between manufacturing of the tiles and their installation (i.e. moisture and freezing temperatures). The beautiful variations in the marble had tiny bits of water seep into them, the water froze, creating additional tiny cracks – repeat the cycle more than once, and now whole chunks are seeming to chip off the top of the previously (seemingly) mirror-smooth surface. One would have to do quite a job of water-proofing this kind of structure to avoid that, given the huge amount of mortar and concrete involved.

As far as bullets and fire-proofing, I’m not sure I’d trust that, either. Windows work just fine for penetration by gas or flash-bangs, as well as entry. As for fire, a good interior fire (where most start) would start melting the bottles. I expect the structural integrity would substantially change.

Now if one doesn’t care about conforming to a neighborhood cookie-cutter look, and they don’t expect to be hit with a .50 cal assault, this would certainly last quite a while in at least some climates, I suspect, and would be much cheaper than a stick-and-brick house.

74, I suspect something could be rigged up with multiple funnels, using sand as recommended. Spilled sand around the bottles could be easily recycled into the next batch of bottles. But that’s still a very large number of bottles. I counted a bit over 2000 bottles just from the edge of the window over to the first column on the right side of the photo, assuming the wall extends all the way up to the top of the columns. And that stretch, not including the window, could not be more than 1/5 of the entire structure around, thus at least 10,000 bottles for a very small house. That would probably be a bit more than a morning project just filling them (!!). At maybe a minute per bottle, to include washing each bottle (critter attraction), setting it up for filling, screwing on the cap (which would have to be acquired since most discarded bottles don’t have the caps), then moving them out of the way for the next batch – and 10,000 bottles works out to about 167 hours just for preparing and filling them if they average a minute each – just a S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.