Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

GS, I do agree with you, the Electoral College is unconstitutional.

Freedom, I’m not sure where you got the idea that anything I said implied the Electoral College is unconstitutional. In fact, it is the ONLY piece of the existing process that does come from the Constitution (Article II, Section 1). It is the method for choosing the president and vice president – as specifically written into the Constitution originally. Do not be too quick to discard the Electoral College. When the Constitution was first constructed, it was a pretty nicely tuned piece of machinery, designed such that each (and all) of its parts meshed and worked with all of the other parts toward a grand end. Then people started messing with it, particularly as it pertained to the states’ portion of the balance of power. The 17th Amendment is relatively unknown to most Americans, who just assume senators were ALWAYS elected by the people. On the contrary – they were, as originally specified by the Constitution, selected by their respective states (not by popular vote), thereby keeping a good balance of power, and keeping the central federal government from getting too much power while also avoiding mob rule. The 17th Amendment really, truly, was a major piece in the undoing of the beauty of the constitutional republic called the United States, along with the 16th Amendment (income tax) and the creation of the Federal Reserve, all in 1913 under Comrade – ooops – President Woodrow Wilson.

The Electoral College is also part of that balance of power. “The People” get their portion of the balance through their elected representatives. But now BOTH houses of Congress are directly elected by the people. And the masses can be swayed, as you well know from your own family’s history – the great reformer, Fidel, was going to come in and “free” the people. Ooops! His popular support suddenly turned out to be badly misplaced. Too much power entrusted to the masses is not a safe thing – particularly unsafe for minorities within those masses. The Electoral College, is actually not a meeting in Washington or somewhere, where they all get together and vote in the new president and vice president. It’s actually done within EACH state, according to rules set up BY each state – thus helping (again) to preserve that portion of the balance of power. The constitutional government is (or should be) a very delicate, balanced and protected process, and it was designed – though imperfectly – as the best man-made system ever put into writing anywhere. (Some might argue, with some success, that some American Indian tribes had an even better version of it, but that’s a whole ‘nother argument, and I’m not going there.)

There are probably better references out there, but this is at least one I just found on a quick search that seems to give both sides as well as some history and mechanics:

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/case/3pt/electoral.html

In my strong opinion, the Electoral College is not something to be thrown out. Too many people want to do just that, without having a clue how it really works, or more importantly, why it was put in place in the first place. Those framers didn’t suddenly get psychotic when they wrote that section of the Constitution.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.