Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

it’s most likely Borderline Personality Disorder

Actually, if either of them does cross the line and qualify for a personality disorder diagnosis (my strong guess is that they do), I’d not suspect borderline. Borderlines are much too “all over the board,” but different from histrionic personality disorder, who can also be “all over the board.” But I’d still go with the so-called “Cluster B” personality disorders. (That was at least still in DSM-IV – I haven’t bothered to get familiar with DSM-5 because, frankly, I don’t care now that I’m out of the “business.” And as flawed as DSM I through IV were, I know enough about what they were trying to do with DSM-5 that I just kissed the profession goodbye, and walked away, quite happily). If you really deeply study narcissistic personality disorder, it is a very, very scary one – it’s not just all about being all about yourself. Oh, Barack certainly exhibits that part of it certainly, but if a true NPD is crossed, they can get very, very nasty — and very dangerous. Then there’s the “antisocial” – which term I have hated since they changed it from the much more descriptive terms used in earlier editions. At least previously, they were “sociopaths,” and sometimes even “psychopaths.” But the latter term makes most people think of the shower scene in Hitchcock’s “Psycho.” “Antisocial” merely implies just not wanting to be around people, at most, “against society,” at least in most people’s understanding of the word – the loner type. At least earlier versions of the diagnosis included the “path” (pathology) ingredient, suggesting something much worse for other people exposed to the “antisocial.” It’s FAR more than that, and like the narcissist, the antisocial is highly manipulative for his own gain, and he doesn’t care about who he hurts in the process of getting from point A to his intended point B. There are a lot of similarities between the two, but some important differences as well. But the most important feature, as far as I’m concerned, is the potential to truly injure (including death) others in pursuit of their interests. Borderlines aren’t charming – they’re a pain in the butt to be around, and almost impossible to maintain an ongoing relationship with. To an extent, the latter can be said about narcissists and antisocials, but there is much more of a plotting quality with them, whereas the borderline can be madly in love with you one moment and extol your virtues upon the housetops, and suddenly consider you the spawn of the devil, and they’ll let the whole world know that, too. It’s what’s going un UNDER the surface with the narcissists and antisocials that is really concerning. By the time you find out, it’s already too late.

I suspect you can guess which categories I’d choose for Barack and The Donald – and they’re not the same. And again, whether they truly cross the diagnostic line or not, I don’t know. Even qualified professionals interviewing and testing them could come to different conclusions. What I am certain of in my own mind, however, is that Obama’s very, very dangerous to the United States of America as an entity regardless of any labels that might be put on him (or not), and DO NOT get in Trump’s way either – he craves power, and whether intended or not, that could also bring down the nation. When they miscalculate, things blow up (and in the world we live in, that could be quite literal).

And yes, serious true mental disorders are a tragedy, for the individual, the family and coworkers (if they still maintain employment), and society as a whole. I had a sibling that truly did suffer with mental illness, yet until it fully “blossomed,” was able to do some incredible work for a small defense-related company, and subsequently a major name player in the defense industry. I actually saw some of the printed work before termination of employment became necessary, and it was absolutely brilliant. What a loss to the world, to the family, and to me personally. To watch the deterioration was gut wrenching, and even after death the consequences continue, due to the effect on children that had to grow up in that environment. They are not in any way an asset to society – fortunately only one of them ever had children of their own.

And treatment is too often inadequate even from a competency standpoint. In my own family member’s case, there was extensive treatment at a well known and respected facility – and they could not save my family member. Plus, funding is entirely politically motivated, and has all but dried up. Often times treatment isn’t even available at any price or level of competency (or lack thereof). In my own state, the number of counties not even having a SINGLE licensed mental health professional is very disturbing – and we’re not even close to the bottom. I’ve previously been significantly involved in my own state professional organization, supposedly one of the best in the nation, and I gave up. I ramped up my participation when I retired, hoping to make a difference from a different direction, by “giving back” to the profession. After several years, I just gave up and walked away – I don’t believe in practice bleeding by banging my head against brick walls. My blood pressure’s down, I took off some unneeded pounds, and have other fully measurable health changes that are wonderful to experience. And my wife likes me even more these days! ;-)

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.