Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Response to Tolik specifically: While I addressed it above, I want to make particular mention of your point – the chaos and destruction that would ensue if such plans were actually put into effect. I absolutely agree with you. But do you think McConnell, Hatch, and Graham don’t also know that? Then that begs the question, “Why would they bother, and why the need to surreptitiously slip this in, without any committee discussion and oversight, ready for a vote at any time, JUST as everybody is heading out of town to escape the blizzard of the millenium? Surely you’ve watched C-SPAN, with the lights in the background dimmed, as some senator or representative stands alone, seeming to debate an issue or even present a bill, to an empty chamber – except for the person with the gavel that sits, nodding off, up front. And in this case, this is exactly what happened:

Mr. MCCONNELL. Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the text of the joint resolution be printed in the RECORD.

There being no objection, the text of the joint resolution was ordered to be printed in the RECORD, as follows:

S.J. RES. 29

You betcha! “No objection.” And one of these days it will be slipped into the calendar for the day, probably with almost nobody present, presented, voted on by “unanimous consent” yet again, and bingo! Done deal. Why the need for such secrecy and cover of snowstorm?

Chaos indeed. Exactly what the doctor (Marx, in this case) ordered. It’s about the destruction of the constitutional Republic, not what makes sense to reasonable, thinking Americans old enough to remember a little bit about what that Constitution really means, or the difference between a representative government, with clear separation of powers (pre-1913), and what we’ve got now (pen-and-a-cellphone government in the hands of one man), as facilitated by the Congress.

Tolik, you’re right. You just didn’t look far enough ahead and consider Paul Harvey’s “rest of the story.”

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."