Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

The fact that he later said he felt “guilty” for not going, and has since tried to make up for it, doesn’t matter I suppose.

But that was not my point. After initially being in favor of that war myself, and having as my 2nd choice out of pilot training to be a forward air controller (flying low and slow over the jungle canopy, directing air strikes, with a 1:3 chance of not making it back home still breathing), I’ve long since changed my position on ‘Nam. My issue is not with whether someone served or not. The man’s got a message I often resonate with, yet a delivery that is downright crude or even disgusting. I find his method of avoiding the draft disturbing, and the fact that he maintained student deferments while touring as much as 300 days a year to be measures of his integrity. Those that went to Canada and gave up a lot, and those that actually went to jail (without doing serious violence themselves) were at least people with integrity. Nugent appeals to the basest instincts in people – I’d prefer to have a true gentleman that CAN pack a knockout punch, but reserves it until absolutely needed (or a female equivalent of same) in the Oval Office. I liked the old Strategic Air Command motto: “Peace is Our Profession.”

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."