Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

I remember the hero years ago that helped people out of the crashed airliner in the river in D.C. He helped a few people, then just slipped quietly under water and was gone. Very quick, very tragic.

MB, that Ranger School tragedy was a (non)comedy of errors. They were supposed to be knee to waist deep in water in an area well known to School staff. But a high tide pushed water levels up in the swamp, and the trainees were up to their necks much of the time. Plus, what should have taken far less time ended up not working out well (probably partly due to the almost total submersion, and thus lack of maneuverability of the Soldiers). They were in the water an incredible six hours, trying to accomplish a task that should have taken far less normally. I never heard the details of the fallout, but I’m sure some heads rolled on that one – they clearly should have. I well remember in survival (now known as SERE) school we frequently said we could not believe the President of the United States knew what they were doing to high-value assets (everyone was an air crew member of some variety, mostly pilots and navigators, but a few enlisted crew members of larger aircraft). The training has to be as close to the limits as possible, because it has to prepare trainees for the extremes of the real situation – and teach that personal limits are well above what we think they are. Our class had a young airman get lost in the mountains in northeastern Washington in sub-freezing temps, and he was only found later that night – coughing up blood, and in very bad shape. Despite some bad weather, night time, very difficult terrain, etc., they were able to evacuate him. We were told he survived, but never saw him again of course.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."