#46494
Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

GS, I don’t understand why most of the federally owned land out West wasn’t turned over to the States when they became States, and I don’t understand why they don’t want anyone using the land. That said, the general public does not even remotely begin to understand the rural land usage and water rights issues our West. 80% of the population is urban/suburban, and that group has little grasp of rural issues or lifestyle anywhere. Of the remaining 20%, most live in the Eastern half of the country and have little concept of “water rights” or use of public lands. The feds own very little land in the East and so leasing ranch land is mostly a foreign concept. Additionally there is no need for a water rights system in the amply watered East. The remaining very small % of the population that understands what’s going on out West is not of concern to the feds.