Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Thanks for the insights Tolik. Any town can welcome and absorb a certain number of new people without losing its sense of community but it is inherent upon the newcomers to make themselves part of the community by getting involved and by respecting the local history and culture. When the majority are newcomers and/or if they don’t view it as where they plan to put down roots, then it can take a long time for a new “community” to arise. Where I grew up was a small town that transformed into a suburban community in the 60’s. It went from 5,000 people to 35,000 in 10 years. 100% of the farms were transformed into subdivisions. Corporate headquarter type facilities got built. Except for the old blue collar neighborhood that I lived in which was geographically distinct from the rest of town, any sense of community was lost. In my neighborhood kids like me had aunts/uncles/cousin/grandparents in the neighborhood and the people that weren’t related or sort of related (my cousins relatives from the other sides of their families) were my parent’s friends from when they were growing up or my grandparent’s friends. Fast forward a few decades and when it comes time for high school reunions, the attendees are very disproportionately from my neighborhood which was but a small fraction of the town’s population back in those days. The people from my neighborhood that I graduated with were the same people that I started kindergarten with. Most of the people in my high school class arrived sometimes during their middle or high school years and had no connection to the community except that’s where their parents happened to live at that point in their lives.