Jay
Jay
Survivalist
member3

Interesting setups. Dmarie, you seem to live a preppers dream in terms of what you already did. Good luck with the gardening. We are also heavily into permaculture but just get started.

I had food for a year while living in Europe but we just recently relocated again back to South East Asia and live currently in a major urban area. At the same time we build our homestead in a rural area surrounded by mountains and national parks.

We are going to permanently live there once we are finished building it in 2-3 months. It is off grid with a solar system, with a well and rainwater collection. We have a lot of fruit trees already but will have a lot of work in terms of cultivating other plants in the months and years to come.

We are 1,5 hours away from a bigger city but no major roads pass by. They pass by a different valley. The community in our valley is pretty tight knit and we try to blend in by being useful. We will learn a lot more in the medicine / first aid area in the coming years to be simply considered a valuable asset. That is pretty much the best insurance we can have besides keeping good relationships with our neighbors.

I will also look for an area deeper into the mountains and if possible try to get some land there. This is just to have another option. A fallback location if trouble comes to our valley. Most people around us are pretty poor farmers (but they are happy!) so they still know how to take care of themselves.

We also have quite a couple of alternative projects in the area. Several permaculture projects, organic farms and similar places. I hope this will get even more because it attracts the right kind of people (also some are a bit too “hippie” but they do care about sustainability and living of the land and that matters).

If things turn ugly in Asia but everything is still fine in Europe, of course I also consider to simply move back to Europe (at least for some time). Of course this decision has to be well informed because I don’t have a sustainable setup in Europe.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")