Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

Personally, like food storage for example, I believe it’s prudent to have an appropriate supply of ANY commodity to reasonably suffice through an extended period of non-availability, without running out. Like anything, shooting is a use-it-or-lose-it skill, to a point at least, and regular trips to the range are a requirement if someone chooses to own a gun in my opinion. Because I can’t afford to keep up my proficiency as a pilot with a frequency that I consider more than minimum-safe, I have not flown in years. Having been an instructor pilot, I am very appreciative of the need to regularly train in ALL maneuvers and conditions, on a frequent basis, no matter how good a pilot one becomes. Occasional flights once or twice a month for an hour or two, with maybe one or two decent extended trips a year, are – in my opinion – sheer stupidity (meaning unsafe). I view shooting the same way (as with virtually ALL skills) – it must be practiced regularly and frequently. Thus going through a hundred rounds or less in a year is a virtual guarantee that accuracy and even familiarity with one’s weapon(s) will result in degraded proficiency (and even safety) over time. And therefore, having enough ammunition to adequately supply the practice rounds for each individual weapon, along with enough for intended and reasonably possible needed use, over an extended period of time in case supplies become what they were a year or two ago, is highly prudent.

As I posted in another area a few minutes ago, what would seem highly reasonable to someone owning one or more weapons with the intent of remaining proficient with each of them, would be reported in the news as a frightening arsenal of weapons and ammunition. Who cares? Who’s going to see it? So stocking up and KEEPING those levels up, rather than depleting the supply down in HOPES that it’ll be available, and at a reasonable price, a year from now, seems highly intelligent to me. If one has multiple weapons, particularly of different calibers, I can EASILY envision having thousands of rounds, and replacing them fairly regularly as they’re used in regular practice in order to stay proficient. That way, if the supply suddenly dries up as it did just before the end of the year a few years back, one is not down to just a couple of months of practice rounds. If it was food, we’d always want, ideally, to have a year’s supply according to most “experts” (whoever and whatever that means). We should never have to engage in panic buying – because it’s then that we pay the highest prices even if it’s available.