Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Packets of EmergenC , like alka Seltzer , good to have in the field , as your diet isnt all that great to begin with , and might keep you from getting sick in the first place . NUUN rehydration tabs , for those that live in a warm climate and sweat , they work ! I went through a tube a day in death valley , I found lemon lime to be the least offensive flavor , none are sweet , which is the way you want it to be . Energy gel packets , some are better than others , but helps give a quick boost when you need to keep going , but feel yourself dragging a$$ . You might be able to substitute that for the military caffeinated chewing gum , depending on how you react to caffeine . After the morning cup of coffee , it doesnt do much for me . Small bottle of Iodine , works on many things . Easy to carry . Ginger powder ………in case you eat something that doesnt agree with you . Powders and tabs in general are good to have , dont weigh anything and dont take up hardly any space . I make my own “envelopes ” , by cutting small strips of paper , taping the edges , pouring whatever powder in , then taping the top .

There was a rumor going around that the chewing gum in MRE’s had laxative in them… on our first deployment, we had this one kid who loved chewing gum went around begging everyone for their gum… so we gave him what he wanted. MRE’s have a habit of locking you up pretty good, sooo…

He had a wad of chewing gum in his mouth the size of a small orange. After 20 minutes, he gets this look….

“I’LLBERIGHTBACKYOUGUYSHEREWATCHMYSTUFF!!!!” and just tears off into the treeline at a dead sprint… which was pretty amazing because he was doing his best to make a fist with his butt – and succeeding – while still managing to sprint…

He came walking back looking extremely exhausted about 15 minutes later… and also a bit sheepish. After we were done howling with laughter, we handled the gum with a bit more care. If there actually was laxative in the gum, then it made sense to save it until you actually had the time to do your necessaries properly…

Once Gator Aid came out with mixable powder in packets, I always carried the orange flavor with me… it was better than that cruddy powder in the MRE’s and made warm canteen water taste about as good as it was ever going to… also salt and sugar packets we lifted from the gas station/restaurant/chow hall to make electrolytic water… what a taste treat that was (not). But, it kept you going. Gator Aid might not do much other than make you pee, but it tastes a damn sight better than gas station sugar and salt packets mixed with warm canteen water…

Carrying stuff to patch up your feet paid dividends as well. Moleskin, powder, bandages, small pair of cuticle scissors, alcohol pads and antiseptic. Even lidocaine salve. Two pairs of spare dry socks in a ziplock baggie.

You can’t carry the whole world, but you learn what works, what doesn’t, what’s rubbish and what’s worse than useless. That’s the crap you dump the first chance you get when nobody is looking…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1