Profile photo of
Anonymous
Survivalist

I doubt a private firearms business with class 3 weaponry would have such easily defeated security measures. An actual gun safe would make it much more difficult, not impossible, but the tools needed would be different. Interior motion sensors are also hard to defeat without some knowledge of the system.

That’s my point exactly. Our local police recommend dusk-to-dawn lights on in front of people’s houses (not 60 watt bulbs on the front porch, but flood lights on each corner, lighting the sides and front), at least motion-detection floods on the two back corners, and a sign warning of a security system. So, that’s what we’ve got (they said full time rear lights are not necessry if there’s no reasonable access to the back yard). Indoors there are motion detectors (VERY sensitive as we recently learned when we accidentally activated the “away” alarm through unintended pressing on the “alarm” button of one of our keychain activators, hah hah!). You can’t get to any “sensitive” area of our house (any reasonably high value stuff) without activating one or more of the motion detectors. The keypad can be destroyed by an invader and the separate device (in another room) will still phone the security company (which is VERY prompt at verification of a valid alert and subsequent notification of police). It doesn’t use a land line (separate cell phone module built into the separate device in another room, thus cutting power to the house is no problem), and we also get a text message within seconds of any alert if we’re away. Alerts in our case include power failure in the home (the entire system is battery operated except the main module that’s also battery-backed up), water in designated areas where a water detector is placed), smoke, and break-in through ANY of our windows and doors. Cost? WELL under $1000, with no contract, and all equipment is owned outright, not leased. Yes, we pay extra for monitoring, but premium monitoring with our company is far less than ADT and similar contract-based rip-offis and still includes text message notification of ALL alerts. So why can’t an Army Reserve Center spend well under $1000 (budget-dust for them!) to properly secure their facility?

As for internal security, I’m willing to bet that that Reserve Center has a concrete floor. It took me perhaps an hour to drill four holes using a borrowed hammer drill to secure our fire-rated safe to our slab floor. So why can’t the Reserve Center do the same? As 74 pointed out, a safe (whether designed for guns or not) takes a whole lot more than bolt cutters or tools suitable to get into lockers and cages. To keep firearms anywhere OTHER than a gun safe is just plain stupid, in my opinion, when not in the home. We’ve got additional upgrades (cameras) coming that should still keep us under $1000 total cost for all equipment. (Simplisafe, for those in the US who’re interested – best in the business that we’ve been able to find, when comparing features, benefits, and reliability vs. pricing.)

So I just have no use for the people in government that won’t provide such safety for taxpayer-funded equipment and facilities using a tiny fraction of their total budget even in the face of sequestration. If we, as a relatively low fixed (retirement) income family can secure the things that matter most to us for well under $1000 and even own the system outright, and get police notification plus personal SMS text alerts of ANY changes at our home when we’re away – plus the ability to set the alarm on line if we forgot before we left – why can’t they? No excuse!