Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

sledjockey & GS, I agree that people get over-medicated, I think in part because there is money to be made in the prescriptions and in all of the follow-up appointments to see how the meds are working. Going astray a bit from the SSRI’s discussion, whereas doctors are under pressure to churn through as many patients as they can given lower margins per patients, my observation is that hospitals have bought up so many medical practices that then have an incentive to over-order tests and treatments. 10 years ago my primary care physician found microscopic blood in a urine sample taken as part of an annual physical. He ordered an ultrasound which found the bladder tumors and a couple weeks later I had surgery. Last week microscopic blood was found in a urine sample my wife gave. Rather than a relatively inexpensive ultrasound what her doctor (part of the hospital network) ordered was a CT Scan with contrast dye and also a cystoscopy. Same issue (blood in urine), same suspected problem (bladder cancer), but far more expensive diagnosis that just 10 years ago. You don’t want to get me going about how the bills get churned with unnecessary tests and treatments for Medicare patients. We had a front ring seat with my in-laws in their final years.