Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Appreciate the comments.

As GS stated people are sick prior to receiving any medicines. It’s important to keep that fact in mind. It is not the drug making people sick. Not all sick individuals can be helped with drugs.

How is depression a ‘sickness’? And it’s a pretty fair leap to go from depression, etc, to homicidal maniac. Medications address the symptoms, not the cause. Whatever was bothering them is still there while they’re taking the chems.

And curiously, why are there “black box” warnings on the prescription bottles if SSRI’s don’t cause abnormal behavior?

From NIMH’s website:

In the FDA review, no completed suicides occurred among nearly 2,200 children treated with SSRI medications. However, about 4 percent of those taking SSRI medications experienced suicidal thinking or behavior, including actual suicide attempts—twice the rate of those taking placebo, or sugar pills.

In response, the FDA adopted a “black box” label warning indicating that antidepressants may increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in some children and adolescents with MDD. A black-box warning is the most serious type of warning in prescription drug labeling.

The warning also notes that children and adolescents taking SSRI medications should be closely monitored for any worsening in depression, emergence of suicidal thinking or behavior, or unusual changes in behavior, such as sleeplessness, agitation, or withdrawal from normal social situations. Close monitoring is especially important during the first four weeks of treatment. SSRI medications usually have few side effects in children and adolescents, but for unknown reasons, they may trigger agitation and abnormal behavior in certain individuals.

Followed by: However, it may increase the risk for suicidal behaviors in a small subset of adolescents.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/child-and-adolescent-mental-health/antidepressant-medications-for-children-and-adolescents-information-for-parents-and-caregivers.shtml

What this says to me, is that despite their squishy, noncommittal weasel-wording (using words like “can” and “may”, etc), they know that a significant percentage of young folks who take this stuff is going to go off the rails – and they have no idea why!

They know it’s gonna happen – has happened – and moreover the only way to know if your kid is going to sped out and throw an axle is by having them take SSRI’s… sorta like sticking your hand in the fire to see if it’s hot.

They play CYA with phrases like “may trigger ‘agitation’ and abnormal behavior in certain individuals”… I’d say that shooting up a movie theater full of people would qualify as “abnormal behavior”… and “agitation” is what I felt today trying to get my internet service cancelled and they kept me on the phone an hour talking to some foreigner who couldn’t Speekie Da Eengerish very well and who kept trying to sell me upgrades to my present service… THAT’S ‘agitation’… describing the reaction some young folks have as ‘agitation’ is probably the understatement of the century…

And I don’t trust the soothing overtures from the Anti’s whatsoever – I can see through their bullsh*t just fine. They claim that they want to keep “guns out of the hands of crazy people” or more PC – “mentally ill”…

You word it that way, well, anyone who voices opposition is automatically classified as someone who wants “mentally ill” people to have access to firearms. Completely loaded statement. Just like “So, have you stopped beating your wife?” No matter what you say, you’re hosed. And their position completely ignores the fact that the machinery already exists to keep people who have been adjudicated mentally incompetent from having access to firearms.

We give them an inch, we’re hosed. Ask yourself “Who gets to say who is or is not “mentally incompetent”? And also, as GS has brought up, the definitions of exactly what is defined as “mentally ill” has changed. Which means if the definitions can, have and will be changed in the future, then literally any behavior can be said to be indicative of “mental illness” and *poof* – there goes your IIA rights… especially when those who make the rules draw their paychecks from those in authority.

Don’t like authority very much? Oh, you must have Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)! Mentally ill – no guns for you. Oh, you don’t particularly care for certain types of people? “Racism” is now a mental illness – no guns for you, either…

I am aware of the history of the mental health industry in the US – had a nice 3 day argument with someone elsewhere on the Web about it. With the rise of modern chems in the 50’s, we emptied the sanitariums in 20 years. Sanitariums empty? Then why fund them? They withered and were eliminated. Some still exist, but the waiting list is long – and private care is Big Bux. It still falls to Big Pharma – who else are making the chems that people take by the truckload? – and the doctors that prescribe them. Especially now in the age of Obamacare – Doc gets a boatload of free “sample” chems from some Big Pharma company and he dishes them out – it’s in his financial best interest to do so. Next thing you know, he’s writing scripts for a whole new crop of “patients” and making Bux, the pharmaceutical company is making Bux…

Sorry if my cynicism is showing, but I have a very bleak outlook on such things… My rule is pretty much “Douchebag until proven otherwise” most of the time. You get played for a chump often enough, it leaves a mark…

Meh… gonna go to bed… see you guys tomorrow. Have a good ‘un…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1