Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

GS,

Hate to break the bad news to you re: SSRI’s, but the Swedes recently released a study about SSRI’s.

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1001875

I quote:

From Swedish national registers we extracted information on 856,493 individuals who were prescribed SSRIs, and subsequent violent crimes during 2006 through 2009. We used stratified Cox regression analyses to compare the rate of violent crime while individuals were prescribed these medications with the rate in the same individuals while not receiving medication. Adjustments were made for other psychotropic medications. Information on all medications was extracted from the Swedish Prescribed Drug Register, with complete national data on all dispensed medications. Information on violent crime convictions was extracted from the Swedish national crime register. Using within-individual models, there was an overall association between SSRIs and violent crime convictions (hazard ratio [HR] = 1.19, 95% CI 1.08–1.32, p < 0.001, absolute risk = 1.0%). With age stratification, there was a significant association between SSRIs and violent crime convictions for individuals aged 15 to 24 y (HR = 1.43, 95% CI 1.19–1.73, p < 0.001, absolute risk = 3.0%). However, there were no significant associations in those aged 25–34 y (HR = 1.20, 95% CI 0.95–1.52, p = 0.125, absolute risk = 1.6%), in those aged 35–44 y (HR = 1.06, 95% CI 0.83–1.35, p = 0.666, absolute risk = 1.2%), or in those aged 45 y or older (HR = 1.07, 95% CI 0.84–1.35, p = 0.594, absolute risk = 0.3%).

The short version is: about 3% of the young people, that is, age 15-24, who were prescribed these drugs had a violent crime conviction that appears to be linked to them taking the drug — a rate approximately double that of the next age cohort and double that of someone not consuming the drug at all.

There was no statistical increase, however, in older patients.

Even though the report says “The increased risk we found in young people needs validation in other studies.”, this pretty much clinches it for me. Which means yeah, I DO blame SSRI’s…

Don’t know if the creep in Oregon was on SSRI’s or not, but it would not surprise me if he was, given his past learning problems, disciplinary problems, home issues and very likely racial identity issues. SSRI’s are the most widely prescribed medication on the planet at the moment, so it seems likely he was probably on them as well…

Doesn’t excuse what he did – he was a creep and had it in him to shoot down a bunch of people anyways. But I do think SSRI’s – if he was on them – exacerbated the problem. Given enough people in a sample, and dick with their brain chemistry enough, you’re going to find a significant percentage who go off their axle when they take that crap… I don’t see hardly any mass shootings by younger people prior to doctors handing out SSRI’s like they were Skittles, usually on the advice of some school worker who has beans for experience in mental health… “Your kid has ADD/ADHD”… Oh? What psychology/psychiatry qualifications do YOU have, Mrs. Dickenson? Where did you graduate medical school? Oh, you’re a teaching assistant? How quaint.

Used to be, a kid was just “fidgety”. Now he or she has some “mental health” issue and we dope our kids to the gills with this SSRI junk, then everyone acts shocked when little Timmy mows down a dozen of his classmates with a stolen handgun….

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1