Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Whirlibird, I’d very much appreciate having the source (original if at all possible) of that extended quote. I don’t doubt your sincerity, but I wanted to quote part of it to someone in an email, and I don’t like doing that without sources. So I took part of one sentence, put it in quotes, and stuck it in a search engine. There are tons of references to it! But none of them seem to be the original, and some comments after many of them claim it was a false quote (at least the part about the Pope kissing the Koran). One said it came from a place similar to the Onion with the URL washingtonpost.com.co (note the “.co” AFTER “.com” at the end). However, that site has been off line for a while. And Snopes at least says that the story about Francis kissing the Koran is false, though John Paul II DID in fact kiss the Koran during his term as Pope (widely reported and even photographed). I have some exceptionally strong feelings about that by itself, but will hold them close for now, until I find out about the rest of the quote, particularly:

Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world.

Part of me really hopes the whole thing was a hoax, but part of me actually does hope the original source got it right. (I’ll withhold those comments unless/until such time as I can be certain they’re from Francis and accurate.) In any case, I’d deeply appreciate having the source, especially if it’s the original one.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.