Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

As with all of my preps I assume no electricity and thus I do not include freezing as a food preservation option. My choices are thus canning or drying, or cool temp storage. I don’t have a spring house but my basement is pretty cold all winter. Beans can be left to dry or canned while still in the green bean stage. Drying is the easier of the two and doesn’t use up canning supplies. The same can be done with corn, though I haven’t preserved corn yet. I make sweet pickles with cucumbers and can them for longer term storage, though you can do pickles in other forms. Tomatoes can be canned or made into sauce. I prefer to make sauce but it is a lot of work to cook it down. I am switching to just growing plum tomatoes going forward as they are good for making sauce. Pumpkins can be canned but watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew don’t lend themselves to that so I’ll only try to grow a little bit of them for summer eating. Acorn, hubbard, and butternut squash can be preserved for a long time as is but zucchini and summer squash won’t keep so zucchini and summer squash will be relegated to just a few for summer eating. Potatoes, onions, and carrots can be preserved for a long time as is in a cool place, but peppers don’t lend themselves to being preserved very well so I am limiting them to just small quantities for summer use. Cabbage can be preserved as is for a long time in a cool place, or you can make sauerkraut and can it. Most berries can be made into jams. Apples can be made into applesauce, apple cider, or vinegar or hard cider. Most fruits can be canned, made into a sauce, or made into jams. Sunflower seeds can be stored dry. The various salad greens don’t lend themselves to any kind of long term storage and going forward I’m not going to plant many, or perhaps any at all. Note that I have canned peppers and summer squash using a pickling recipe but the result is kind of soggy and not especially tasty. You can mix a little in salads but that’s about it. I have also made relish, but a little goes a long way as that is not the kind of food that lends itself to diverse uses. It is also a lot of work relative to the benefit. I am far from being expert in food preservation but dabbling a little here and there as I have done has been very educational. In a post-grid environment, water bath canning will be labor intensive if you have to do it over a fire.