Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

As a former Air Force pilot, we had to learn to do a lot of our own forecasting, and had fairly significant formal training in meteorology, forecasting, etc. We STILL had to have access to weather maps, locations of fronts, high and low pressure centers, temperatures, pressure gradients, winds aloft (particularly location of jet streams, etc.) in order to do it, but forecasters weren’t available at every destination, or at least at the times we’d arrive or depart. Still, we had old technology readouts on thermal paper from little machines that could give us limited semi-current information about destinations, points along the way, etc. – sometimes. (Computers and the internet?!? What was THAT?)

Unfortunately, if we end up in severe SHTF, those things may not be available to us at all, and we’d need to rely on some of the very ancient methods of “reading” the weather. Though probably largely lost by many, Native Americans (and similar more ancient cultures around the world) were pretty good at that. Perhaps there’s some learning from that quarter. But I suspect we need to be cautious and become much more aware about protection against frost/freezing, as well as drought, than many of us currently are. I doubt that modern scientific books can help us much. The ancients got pretty darned good at reading the signs of approaching fronts, storms, etc. – we’ll need to be able to do the same. I’m exceptionally grateful for my education in how weather works, and just hope it will be of any practical use if I need to call upon it in the future – without the aid of satellite imagery, computer graphics, etc. Excellent question!

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."