Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

Bobby D, about forty five years ago I fully renounced Christianity altogether, to include the Bible (mere mythology, as in Roman, Greek, Norse, etc., as I then saw it) and Jesus Christ (I saw him as nothing more than a mortal man). Forty years ago I was in the middle of an advanced degree program at a Catholic university, and of course spent a lot of time in the university’s library because of the quiet study atmosphere. When my brain got overloaded with my major field of study, but I still had much studying to do on a given day while in that library, I’d take a mini-burnout break and hit the religion shelves for a change of pace.

I somehow always knew there was a God of some sort, but by that point in my life had no idea about the character of God, my relationship with God, etc. I just knew I was known to who/whatever God was and that I’d been helped along the way on a number of occasions in my life. So I would go to the religion shelves, trying to figure out where – if anywhere – I fit, faith-wise. I had many, many questions, researching them in that library, as well as asking many to a co-worker during breaks at work. Five months later my world changed dramatically, and I’ve been solidly in the “Christian camp” so to speak ever since, with solid doctrinal beliefs, and no questions about authenticity – just interesting but relatively unimportant questions about details (I’ve always been the curious type). It was because of honest questions, not arguing, that I ended up where I am today. And it is in that same spirit of non-contention that I honestly ask some questions about this thread, particularly since it has been a rather active one here recently. Like the questions of 40 years ago, I’m asking for information and understanding, not for “conversion” purposes. (That last result came as a complete and unexpected surprise, and not because of any human answers.)

I am puzzled why the referenced web site has no attributed source whatsoever, though it used to be attributed to a Pennsylvania priest, who was getting these “locutions” from an unnamed 3rd party. Why is there no source information provided? Any why would Mary speak so extensively through an individual who is apparently not even an ordained Church official, with the result being forwarded through a relatively low-ranking priest in a U.S. diocese (if he’s even the one still publishing them)? Why would the Pope himself not be receiving these, and having Church authority, be the one to announce them? It would seem reasonable that a priest would have the right to receive revelation for the benefit of those over whom he has charge, but that revelation on behalf of the entire world would not be received by someone not even identified, let alone having recognized authority in the Church organization. After all, that is the rather unique claim of the Catholic Church, that papal authority derives all the way back through the original apostles, to Peter who received it from Jesus Christ, if I am not mistaken. So why would the head of the Church be uninvolved in this revelatory process for something as monumental as the future and salvation of the world?

I am also puzzled why a recent one (above) has Mary speaking as if she is located right “here” in the United States? Said she,

I deliberately brought the Pope to America, the world’s financial center, to be here when it takes place. I want him to be part of the picture. I want him to be present. His presence in America will be my sign … .

And why is it Mary making these decisions, based on her desires, rather than attributing those desires to Jesus Christ or Heavenly Father, whose Church it claims to be? Would not God be the one directing such things?

Perhaps I don’t understand Catholicism sufficiently, but the above questions just seem logical to me, and thus I am wondering. No offense intended. And your answer to 74 that “Acceptance is fail safe” is not comfortable to me. If this proves to be true revelation, then of course accepting and acting on it would be highly beneficial. But if it does fail (i.e. turns out to be false), it could seriously damage the faith of some who accept it, even leading them away from God altogether in disappointment. I know that feeling all to well from more than 45 years ago when I began having serious questions about what I had been taught all my life. Once I started asking adult questions, my questions were very, very inadequately (and erroneously) answered. The unfortunate result back then was my entire renunciation of Christianity – a serious mistake, but only with the hindsight of 40 years of further experience and understanding. Fortunately, I got a 2nd chance. But that doesn’t change the fact that acceptance is not at all fail safe – it only works if it doesn’t fail, and all this is true. Thus, I ask questions to better understand. (Disclosure: because of the nature of my now strong beliefs, I acknowledge being much more than skeptical of this material. But so was I 40 years ago when I began hearing about my current faith.)

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."