Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Despite it having been unseasonably and brutally hot the past week or so (mid to upper 80’s every day, even topping 90 on at least one day, and humid), I tended the wood pile. I moved about 4 cords from behind the garage onto my front porch for ease of access for much of the winter, and had 5 more cord delivered so as to bring my wood storage area up to maximum capacity, giving me almost a 3 year supply. I figure why not fill the wood area (a 12′ X 24′ cement pad with roof over it) to capacity now. Should SHTF prior to next spring, I’ll have wood enough for 2 more seasons without taking on the task of cutting/hauling/splitting myself. There will plenty of other stuff to do under those circumstances. It’s a lot of work just stacking it behind the garage and then moving it onto the porch when I buy it cut, split & delivered. I’m going to wait until this heat wave is over before stacking the 5 cords however. The important part is its here. Just one more day and then it’ll come down closer to more normal temps.

The other thing I will be doing soon is putting in a seed order rather than wait until late winter. I’ll get that done within a couple more days I think. I already bought the garden fabric to deal with the weeds between my rows.