Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

I’m not qualified to have an informed opinion but my guess is that global cooling is more likely than global warming. The implications as 74 notes are vast. This is our 6th year here and we have lost our apples twice to late frosts when the trees were blooming. We lost most of our black walnuts to late frosts 5 of the past 6 years. This year the last frost was especially late but fortunately the apples and the walnuts had already been set. I have bumper crops of both this year. However I did suffer damage to certain of my other plants this spring. This far north farmers could still do cows, sheep and such in a colder climate but crops could be questionable if frosts come too late or too early. How cold it gets in the winter doesn’t matter. What matters is how long the winter is. That the last two winters have been brutally cold isn’t a big deal but the fact that winter lasted 3 to 4 weeks longer than normal could be.

To have crop failures does not require an abundance of cold weather. It just requires a single hard frost after it is too late to replant or before crops have ripened and been harvested. Just one in July or August would do it.

freedom, you gave me a chuckle with your comment about in the 70’s being cool nights. When it is in the 70’s here at night it is usually accompanied with the term “sweltering”. 70’s is what we consider perfect daytime temps during the summer. July is the hottest month with an average daily high of 81.