Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Excellent job! I wish I were that handy. I generally keep a couple hundred gallons of bottled water (mostly gallon jugs) in the basement but they get rotated on account my wife likes to use the bottled water rather than tap water due to our having a water softener. She doesn’t like the salt in the tap water. Come SHTF and a grid down scenario, we have a deep well with a Simple Pump hand pump on it and shouldn’t need to even filter that water, though I do have a Berkey and several other filters. We have a good sized pond in the back yard that we’d use to fill the toilets (we’re on a septic system) and if we needed to water the garden. There is as well a crystal clear river behind the houses across the road from us too if we needed another source for any reason. Clean as the river may be we’d still run it through the Berkey if it were to be used for drinking/cooking water.

Something I have done is save a couple hundred empty gallon jugs in the original very sturdy cartons they come in (6 gallons to a carton). I have had two thoughts for their possible use. One is filling them early on in a SHTF scenario so as to increase the stored supply in case there is a period we wanted to minimize going outside to the hand pump. The other is to fill them and leave them outside in the winter (perhaps in the garage or woodshed to keep them snow-free and out of the sun). Come late winter when they are still frozen solid I’d create an ice cave in the basement with the cases of frozen water jugs, in effect creating a refrigerator for the summer to be used as needed for food preservation. The basement is in the 40’s in the winter and in the 60’s in the summer so it is a relatively cool place to start. In the same vein of thought, I have a number of large trash barrels, both plastic & metal that are just sitting in the upstairs part of my garage. I have thought that I could do the same with them to create large blocks of ice that would take even longer to melt, though I’d need some strong young muscle to help get them down into the basement late winter. Fortunately we do have an outside bulkhead.