Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
GeorgiaSaint
Veteran
member9

As even the article points out, no man knoweth the day nor the hour. So do I find this conjunction of two bright objects in the sky to be of interest? Sure – but merely speculative, just the same. As discussed in a Sunday school class this past Sunday, someone made the point that if we’re living our lives trying to time the peak of our “best efforts” to the time of the 2nd coming, we’ve missed the whole point. People have been predicting the 2nd coming for nearly 2000 years, believing that it would still be in their lifetimes that Christ would return to “save” them.

Sure – as the original meaning of the 2nd half of my SHTF Forum name suggests – as a Christian, I fully expect that event to occur. Do I think we’re likely to be relatively close to it happening? Yes, but I don’t know whether that’s during my lifetime, my kids’ lifetimes, my grand kids’ lifetimes, or our new great grand kid’s lifetime. I just suspect it’s truly closer than people have thought it was through the ages.

But it doesn’t matter.

I could be hit by an 18 wheeler this afternoon, or a meteor could hit the house as I sit here typing. If I”m not “ready” now, the timing of the 2nd coming has no relevance to me whatsoever.

The point is how I live my life, how I treat others, how much I do to appropriately support others, not just whether I read my scriptures daily, pray, etc. So, if tonight’s bright light in the sky is truly one of the signs, great! I’m quite ready for this world, as we know it, to become a peaceful place for 1000 years. In the meantime, it’s my responsibility to be treating my fellow human beings appropriately, as I’ve been taught.

And it’s therefore my responsibility to become as prepared and as knowledgeable as possible, as soon as possible, not on some carefully planned schedule designed to be complete one day before the 2nd coming. It’s a matter of what we do today, how we help others today, and what we do to take personal responsibility today.

Oh – and speaking of personal responsibility, I recently saw the dumbest statement by an Episcopal Church leader in Atlanta. In announcing that the Episcopal Church will not allow concealed carry in their churches despite the new law in effect in Georgia tomorrow (1 July), he said that Christ didn’t teach people to protect themselves, just to minister to others. Uh, back when I was a member of the Episcopal Church, we used the same King James I still use. In that version, twice Christ gave his disciples instructions before he sent them out to minister among the people. The first time he sent them out without purse or scrip. But the second time came with a different set of instructions: “And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:35-36)

So my bottom line is that around 9:30 tonight, I do plan to be looking at the western sky – and honestly, I will be wondering if it’s more than mere astronomical coincidence. But it won’t change what I should be doing or the rate at which I should be doing it in my own life. The spiritual things will all work for my good if I’m doing my part all along.

GS
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."