Profile photo of 74
Survivalist
rnews

The garden is growing rather slowly. Comparing my corn to the farmers near by, mine is growing at half the rate. Everything but the potatoe plants are small. I figured my soil would be worn out after 200 years of farming. So Monday I spread 50lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer on the whole garden. I used my lawn spreader and walked between the rows pushing the spreader. It worked real well. Now I’m waiting for the next rain the release to fertilizer into the soil.

I also hilled the potatoes this week. I was hoping to accomplish this chore with the tractor and a potato plow, but I couldn’t get the plow setup quite right. I ended up using a hoe to pull loose soil around the plants. It took me about 2 hours of manual labor and a gallon of sweat.

Today I found an antique hand cultivator with a steel wheel and three chisel points in nice shape. I tried it out in a landscaped area near the house. The effort to loosen the soil and weeds is considerably less than using a hoe. I have a cultivator for the garden tractor, but the height clearance under the tractor is very limited. The hand cultivator can be used until the rows are grown to maturity.