Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

For the longest time, I wanted to build my own little boat.

Traditional, old school boat. Lapstrake hull, copper rivets and roves, oakum waterproofing, lots of spar varnish and polished brass. Always wanted to build a canoe yawl. As far as canoe yawls went, I wanted a bigger one. 20 feet, with a sleeper cabin, schooner rigged. A motor, if any, would only serve in emergencies. Since she would have a centerboard and only a ballast keel, it could be retracted and the vessel beached if necessary.

For those of you unfamiliar with this type of boat, it’s basically the shape of a canoe – sharp at both ends, partially or wholly decked, shallow draft, long and fairly narrow so relatively few people can propel it with oars, if needs be. Some of the larger ones were 20 feet long and over, with a ton of fixed lead as ballast and a formal keel. Others were so small you could almost shoplift them. They’re lighter and faster than their formal sailboat counterparts and one person can handle a canoe yawl comfortably…

They were all the rage in the US back about a hundred years ago, there being even formal clubs and races, a regatta being held wherever wind and water would allow – with some serious prize money and trophies up for grabs.

Personally, of all the smallish boats, I think it’s the most handsome, the most useful and the most versatile…

Couple images… the first is a bigger canoe yawl. Fully decked with a cabin – likely a sleeper cabin. Schooner rigged. (Edit: my inexperience is showing… it’s ketch rigged) The second is a tiny canoe yawl. I think the guy shoplifted it.

[attachment file=”canoe yawl big.jpg”]

[attachment file=”canoe yawl small.jpg”]

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.